"" FutureLint (I have nothing to wear!): Fashion Blogger Tattoos (2)

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Fashion Blogger Tattoos (2)

First up is Erin from Work With What You've Got
The sleeve is all custom with one piece of flash. I had a couple friends design one each so that they would hold more meaning, and my artist and designed the rest of them together. The skulls are straight up off a Delia's tee. HA!~ It took me about two years to finish and I got one large heart at a tine, then all the small hearts in one sitting and all the vine work in another. Everything is done by the same artist.  I can sit for about an hour and a half, maybe two and then I'm done.
The stars on my forearm are my favorite and are actually a cover-up of another tattoo by an artist I saw once and never went back to.
The star on the back of my neck is actually almost a copy of a friends. Hers is filled in and mine is hollow but other than that they are the same and in the same place. I asked her if it was OK and she did not mind. The only one I didn't show is one on my inner wrist and it says "Rani" which is a nickname my best friend gave me. It means princess and I have it to remind me I am loved. I didn't get a picture of that one because it is sacred to me and I actually would hate if anyone copied it.


Next is Tabitha from Fashion Therapist
I've attached a pic of the first tattoo I got when I turned 18.  It is a shamrock - clearly I didn't do it because I am Irish :) -  and it's on my left shoulder.  When I turned 18 I was so adament about getting inked.  I had been wanting one for so long (since I was 13 to be exact) and so shortly after my 18th birthday I got it done.  I chose a shamrock because all my life I've considered myself a lucky person.  Not lucky in terms that I bring luck to other people, but that I've just been fortunate to be at the right place, right time, right moment, etc. that things just happen to me by luck.  I'm not a religious person, but this constantly reminds me of how fortunate I am to have been given so many things in life whether it be a good job, winning a sweepstakes or just being having great people who are part a part of me - I've just always considered myself to be a lucky person.


And last, is ME! 
I don't ever want to regret ink and have to get it covered or lasered, so I've waited a long time to get all three!
 My first tattoo was the ants on my right foot. I wanted them starting when I was about 18 but wouldn't let myself get them until I was 21. I printed out a few ant images I liked and the artist (whose name was "Pookie" BTW) drew them up for me! I got them because...
#1. I really like ants. I think they are neat and pretty and super fascinating!
#2. It's a bit of a monument to my own insignificance... I think it's so easy to get all wrapped up in your own life and problems and forget about the fact that there is a whole other world out there - at any given point of my day someone is giving birth, dying, laughing, being raped, getting married, etc. It is the best and worst moments of people's lives, RIGHT. THIS. SECOND. There are so many awesome and terrible things going on... So I'm just another ant in the world, get over it, time to move on. Do what you can and be fucking nice about it.
My second one was these three bells on my left side (sorry about the weird cropping, but it basically connects my T to my A, so I had to crop it to keep things PG-13 around here). I got them about 5 years ago. They don't get seen much except for when I spend the whole summer in a swim suit. Their meaning is between me and Kurt Vonnegut and if you know which book it's from, I am supremely impressed. I drew all three of them and my friend Benny did it in my living room. He was apprenticing at a tattoo shop and suddenly got called back to do a second tour of duty in Iraq (he's a marine) and we did this the night before he left. (Don't worry, he's back and fine!) I may get them shaded and colored in gold one day, we'll see!
The seahorse on my forearm, I just got like a month ago. This seahorse was something I drew and it was the first thing I made a screen of when I started screenprinting on my own. I've wanted him for a few years but when they started selling my t-shirts at the Walker Art Center, I decided that I could finally get it. My t-shirts were just a little idea I had to make for me and my friends and it took off in directions I never expected. So the seahorse reminds me to believe in my silly little dreams. Ooh, and you can get your own seahorse t-shirt, here!


If you want to be included in the next round-up, just email me (futurelint at gmail dot com) with a photo of you and a photo of your tattoo (or tattoos)! Include a little what, where, when, why type description and a link to your blog!

5 comments:

Keep Warm (Danielle) said...

Fantastic! These are great!!! Thanks for sharing

Raquelita said...

I would love to be included next time, and I would also say you could link to the annotated bibliography of tattoos that we did at Fashionable Academics several months ago: http://fashionableacademics.blogspot.com/2010/06/annotated-bibliography-of-tattoos.html

Nana Erin said...

"it basically connects my T to my A"

AHAHAHAHA.

Your ants are basically one of my all time favorite tattoos and I would be tempted to copy them to be honest if they were not on your foot. I don't think I can actually handle foot work.

Tabitha said...

Love the tattoo feature!!!!

WendyB said...

" it basically connects my T to my A," -- ha ha , love that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails